The information on this page about the Rogue River Permits process is being produced and provided to you by Rogue Wilderness Adventures, (a private for-profit corporation). We offer a variety of support services for private boaters including: shuttles, a full-service rental program for boats and needed equipment to completely outfit your private river trip while on the Rogue River. We in no way guarantee the accuracy of the information below. We do not administer the permit system for the Bureau of Land Management or the United States Forest Service. The information contained herein is the sole responsibility of Rogue Wilderness Adventures and its staff and in no way reflects the opinion or views of the federal agencies.

The Bureau of Land Management has a very good website to walk private boaters through the confusion of obtaining a private permit on the Rogue River.

If you have questions feel free to call the Rand Visitor Center: 541-479-3735

About the private permit system: BLM – Rogue River Private Permits
Current Space Available on the Rogue: BLM – Rogue RIver Float Openings
To apply for a permit online: BLM – Lottery Form

Morrison’s Rogue Wilderness Adventures can be reached via e-mail or by telephone at (541) 479-9554.

Understanding the Rogue River Permits System

Rogue River Permits for Wild SectionThe “Wild Section” of the Rogue River is a regulated use river with permits required for floating between Grave Creek and Foster Bar from May 15 through October 15. The Rogue River Permits Office is Located on Galice Road 3 miles past the town of Galice at the Rand Visitors Center. Rogue River Noncommercial Float Permits are allocated through a lottery process during the early part of each new calendar year. The application period for this lottery runs from December 1 to January 31. For information on Rogue River permit lottery application process contact the office at The Rand Visitors Center (541) 479-3735 or you can apply for a permit online.

After the lottery process, there may be float openings available, either from days which were not filled through the lottery or from open dates on the commercial calendar which are given over to the private sector. These permit openings make up the “Open Pool” and are rescheduled on a first come, first-served basis by telephone only at Rand Visitors Center, (541) 479-3735, beginning the first business day in April each year at 8:00 a.m. (Pacific Time). Even after the float calendar is filled through the Open Pool, you may still take advantage of permits which are canceled or not confirmed on time. This is referred to as the “Common Pool.”

Cancellations may occur anytime, so stay in contact with Rand office. Permit holders are required to confirm with this office no later than 10 days before their launch date that they intend to use their permit. Permits which are not confirmed by the ten-day deadline are rescheduled on the ninth day before, but not including, the permitted launch date. These float openings are given out on a first-come, first served basis by telephone only at River Information. To determine when you should telephone for these openings, simply count back nine days from your preferred launch date, starting with the day before your launch date as Day #1. These float openings are scheduled seven days per week beginning at 7:00 a.m. (Pacific Time). This is your most likely way to obtain a permit.

You may also schedule a float opening which occurs because of a no-show. No-shows result when a confirmed party fails to pick up their permit on their launch date or shows up with fewer party members than confirmed. These float openings are rescheduled in the following manner: first to those waiting in person at Rand Visitor Center on the actual launch date, and second to those persons who telephone River Information on the actual launch date. Parties receiving the no-show permits must launch their trips on that same day.

Office hours at the Rand Visitor Center (River Information) are from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., seven days per week (including holidays) from May 5 through October 15. If you have questions or need more information call River Information at (541) 479-3735 or visit their website.

Questions / Help
Rentals and gear is available through our own rental program including boats, kayaks, paddles, life jackets, throw ropes, kitchen setups, coolers and camping gear.  We can also put you and your group on one of our trips and we’ll take care of the whole deal: food, lodging, shuttles and permits. If you have any questions about the Rogue River Permits process, please feel free to contact Rogue Wilderness Adventures via e-mail or by telephone at (541) 479-9554.

Southern Oregon Travel AssociationTravel OregonOregon BountyAmerica OutdoorsRafting AmericaGrant's Pass